Sunday, March 22, 2009

At Least I Didn't Have to Clean Up the Bird Feathers

This week, instead of Spring cleaning, I taught myself to crochet. Well, the internet (namely, YouTube) taught me actually. Amazing what you can do with the internet when used for good instead of evil. First, I started out just learning a couple of basic stitches, botching them terribly on misshapen dishcloths and coaster. Okay, one of each. I'm not very patient when I have a fabulous goal in mind. Goal? To make Amigurumi animals. Lofty, I know.

It started last Saturday when Clay took Miss B. to a baseball game and I found myself with Time on my hands. I could do whatever I wanted. So I got my hair trimmed and got HIGHLIGHTS. The latter was about a year and a half overdue. After that, I came home to style my hair. (Why pay someone extra to style it in ways that I have historically hated? So I habitually leave salons with sopping wet hair.) Then I thought, "What do I do now?" Well in the future, I will take a friend's advice and refer to a things-I-would-do-if-I-had-time list. After I make the list. But on this particular day, I had zero ideas. So I went to the post office to drop off our Netflix. Driving inspired me to drink. Iced tea, people! Moments later, iced tea in hand, I found myself wandering into the nearest bookstore, toward the crafting section and dug up several glorious books on sewing hand bags and baby things and...then I ran across this amazing book. I looked through it (and half a dozen other creative works of genius) for almost two hours at the store and fell in loooooove. And that, my friends, is why I have decided to crochet. Don't you wish your life was as exciting as mine!?

Day one was bleak. Day two was hopeful. Day three, I delved into project number one:


About an inch by two inches. Success! Um, I know ladybugs aren't purple, but I was working with what was on hand. The hardest part was learning how to interpret the written instructions. It's like a secret code.

With that win under my belt, I delved into a more challenging project. An elephant. (Seriously, take a quick glance at the frightening instructions underneath the very small picture.) I cannot tell you how many HOURS I spent on this thing, but it took me Wednesday through today to complete. (...nap times, after my bedtime, early in the morning, instead of showering. Just kidding on the last one. But I was pretty determined and diligent.)

As you can see, I made my own modifications, mostly planned, a couple unplanned. ;-)






This one is ten inches tall. I'm very pleased with how she turned out. I REALLY wanted her to wear earrings (flower buttons), but I removed them b/c she was already looking quite...cluttered, especially after adding the toenails. The earrings will have to decorate a different creature in my future.

________________________________

Other recent news. The other day, I went out onto our balcony -- like every morning -- and fed the cat/let fresh air into the house, and I was encountered by a large pile of bird feathers! Upon a careful assessment of the situation, I determined that an owl must have eaten the bird above our balcony. Surely the cat would not eat the bones. Am I right? There were truly only feather remaining. And we DO have owls... I left it all day because I really didn't want to start my day by cleaning up bird remains. And I forgot about it. Oops. The next morning, "Oh yeah. Better clean up the bird feathers!" I opened the door only to see Kitty eating a bird feather. The last of the feathers. ??? I'm still scratching my head. Who killed that bird? Is it normal for birds to eat feathers? Bones? Just in case of a vomiting episode, I left her outside all day. No vomit. Weird cat.
_________________________________

We are still loving our produce co-op! Look what I picked up on Saturday (for which I only paid $15!)
. The FOOD, not the knives.



I love that I am forced to cook creatively with what I get. (I pay my money but don't know what produce selection I will be getting until I pick it up. They collect money from the group and then negotiate with their local/semi-local farmers.) I take our produce selection from the week and find recipes I want to use, and then (if necessary) I do the grocery shopping from there. It's been fun so far. I think by engaging the creative side of my brain, I'm actually maybe beginning to enjoy cooking. Crazy I know! And we're eating extremely healthy meals. Well I could talk about our co-op and vegetables as much as I just went on about crocheting, so I'm just going to stop before it gets ugly and the night not-so-young. I hope you all had a great week!

No comments: