Wednesday, July 1, 2009

News Flash: Thompsons Embark on Grand Adventure

Well folks, I finally got so sick of the heat that we're packing our bags and moving North. We're temporarily relocating for my husband's work. As in, to a different state. In 2010 that is. As most probably realize by now, the construction industry is not exactly booming around our neck of the woods. So, My Stud's company has been bidding on jobs all over the West, with the intention of sending some of their AZ guys wherever the work is. We knew a couple months ago that My Stud's name was attached to a job up for bid in small town, New Mexico, and the results of the bid were supposed to have been revealed to us two or three weeks later. They weren't. My Stud explained to me, thus goes the construction industry. But try explaining that to an anxious wife. (I probably asked the poor guy everyday if he had heard anything yet.) Well anxiety turned into prayer which turned into peace which turned into a strong desire to get this job. I don't even like New Mexico (sorry). But...I think that I will. It seems God is into the business of changing hearts to line up with His plan.



The Positives

*My husband will have stable work through the end of 2010, which should help us get over the current drag in the industry.
*They have a Target!
*It will be an adventure that will knit us more tightly together as a family unit.
*It's one state closer to our Colorado family.
*They have more than one Starbucks. Priorities people!
*Average summer high temperatures linger around 85 degrees, AND they cool off at night into the 60s. That is so far from what I'm used to these days, I might need a sweater!
*Our baby will already be a couple months old by the time we needed to move.
*It will only be for 8 or 9 months (My Stud can do work on the front end and back end from AZ, so we would only live there for the actual building portion of the project.)
*Their Target has a Starbuck's inside of it!
*My husband will have lots of work.
*Did I mention I love a good adventure?

Okay, I'll stop being redundant. I'm just excited. :-)

The Negatives

*We will miss our family and friends, no matter how short the time frame.
*I will seriously miss my best girl friend.
*I will not have work (thus our debt pay-off plan will dramatically slow down), which was actually the post-baby#2 plan anyway so I'm not so sure that it technically counts as a "negative" for my purpose here.
*They do not have a Sprout's (my favorite grocery store) :-(
*Moving, no matter how temporary, is a lot of work.
*We will miss our church while we're away.
*We will be further away from Disneyland. (I don't think this one counts either since our annual passes will expire in February anyway.)
*We'll have to find a new pediatrician, family doctor, and chiropractor (fine, maybe dentist too) during our stay. Pain in my booty.
*We will miss having such a great support system nearby, especially with a new baby in tow.
*We won't be near any major airports which will make traveling a little more interesting.
*Google Earth makes it appear as though the area is seriously lacking in trees. The above picture gives me a little hope.
*We won't entirely have the same conveniences of big city life that we may be used to.

Okay, all that said, I think it's safe to say that the positives outweigh the negatives, and that I'm practically making up negatives because I can't think of very many other than "missing people." I'm sure reality will hit a little harder somewhere down the line. Then again, I think I already went down the negative path when the job went to bid and we were like, "WHAT!? Where???" Oh as in all things, it will have it's challenges and I'm not naive to that. I am also a believer that a person's attitude regarding a situation determines the outcome more than almost anything else. So we should all note here that in some ways I'm still the same adventurous girl that dared to move to AZ eight years ago without knowing a soul, without having visited, who found beauty in things that, to me, were not beautiful at the first second third glance. Yup. It's going to be fantastic...because if it's not, I will make it be. For my whole family. And that will be my new job.


*the NM image was found here.

3 comments:

Marisa said...

I think especially in this awful economic climate, we can all appreciate hearing about how God faithfully provides -- even when His provision is unknown or we question why He moves us in a certain direction. We're on the brink of uncertainty, too, with Aaron's work situation, so I empathize and am heartened to hear this story! :)

I'm excited for you and I LOVE what you said about MAKING it fantastic. Attitude really does change everything, huh?

Glad to know you guys will be back. Nine months isn't terribly long. Think of all the new places you can explore. You're basically getting an extended vacation. :) Are you selling your condo or are you going to hold on it?

Amelia said...

Yes, uncertainty can be frightening to be sure! I'll be praying for you guys in that area now that I am aware.

Yes, it will be like a pregnancy...only more fun. I'm sure every weekend will be spent discovering Colorado and Utah. We plan to hold on to the condo and return to it when our time there is done.

There are still some uncertainties in the area of subsistence. We aren't yet sure if the company is offering to pay for living expenses up there (if not, we'll HAVE to get a short-term renter for the condo at minimum). They normally do pay a fair subsistence, but no one dares to be picky right now...so we'll have to pray and wait. Again. :-) A second uncertainty that Clay explained to me in great detail the other day is that in the construction industry, nothing is set in stone until the moment it is happening. That's hard for me to comprehend, but it goes something like this: If his company doesn't get more work (local or otherwise) and they have to start laying people off, the possibility does exist that they would put one of their senior guys on that job instead of Clay so that they can keep their most experienced guys around. That would be ugly, and we don't expect something like that to happen, but we are also mindful of all possibilities so we continue to pray.

Thanks so much for your encouragement, Marisa!

Anonymous said...

Hello! I blog hopped my way over here...I have enjoyed reading your blog. And guess what? I'm from NM!