Wednesday, April 20, 2011
Homemade Taco Seasoning
I must have really needed a break from talking about cloth diapers (the series is not quite done), because I'm sort of on a recipe kick for a minute here.
And I don't even like to cook that much.
Last night we had Taco Salad for dinner. While I was browning the ground beef, I realized that we were out of taco seasoning. I used to buy seasoning packets until one day, like yesterday, I found myself in a pinch. I needed taco seasoning but I did not have time to run to the store. So I hunted down a recipe that used spices I normally keep in my spice cabinet. I immediately loved it, and I have used it ever since. It tastes much better than the cheap-o off-brand seasoning packets I previously bought. So yesterday, I looked up the recipe and threw together a fresh batch. Whew! Problem solved. I thought I'd share the recipe.
Taco Seasoning
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt (I used Kosher salt this time)
1 teaspoon black pepper
In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.
I like to quadruple this recipe (or more) so that I have taco seasoning on hand for taco meat or soups, and I can just measure out what I need. If you do it this way, be sure to give your container a good shake before you measure out your seasoning, as larger particles (like my Kosher salt) may have fallen to the bottom.
Give me a shout out if you try it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I'll have to try this sometime! I usually buy it in bulk from our co-op, but I bet fresh is better. I make my own cajun seasoning and it is soooo much better than the store bought stuff, too.
Used this today to mix into the refried beans I put on my nachos!!! It was delish, I instantly thought of this when I was going to make my nachos and I'm so glad you posted it :) Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment