Tuesday, May 24, 2011

For People Who Like to Read about Physical Therapy & "Morning" Sickness

I have a few things to share, and I'm feeling quite a bit better so far today than most days, and the little ones are napping like champs, so I figure better go for it while I can!

First of all, Miss Smooch had her usual Tuesday morning physical therapy today.  It took half of the session to get her to show off her newest skills, but she finally warmed up and went to work.  I'm so proud of her.  She's cruising on everything - furniture, my legs, the wall.  I have believed for almost a week now that Smooch is ready to take off walking...just as soon as she's ready.   As in, she has to gather up her courage and let go. ;-)  Other than that, she's ready.

She's 17 months today by the way.

And after her p.t. session today, her therapist said that she didn't think Smooch needs therapy anymore.  (Also something I had been thinking for a few weeks, but haven't said out loud to them.  I just felt badly saying, "no thank you" to their services right before those first steps.  Talk about robbing them of one of the biggest rewards of their job.) Sooo...they will check in on Smooch once a month - which will probably only be one more time - until she meets her p.t. goal (walking).

And for the record, even though the therapy has been wonderful in getting Smooch motivated, and in teaching me some strategies to use between therapy sessions, I still firmly believe that the chiropractic care in correcting her pelvic alignment was the big turning point for her.  After that (crawling within days), Smooch began to progress in her other gross motor skills and a normal/rapid pace. 

I'm pleased as punch that my 17-month-old, who was not even rolling or scooting at 13 months old, is now about to take off walking.  Of course I'll be plastering that news all over the internet once it happens.   It's a momma's job to be excited about her babies successes you know.

The next thing I would like to say is that I have been feeling quite a bit better than my little "I'm pregnant" post.  I think the kicker was that I started taking vitamin B6.  Thinking back, I took that per my doctor's recommendation for the nausea I faced when I was pregnant with Princess.  Then with Smooch, I felt pretty darn good, so I never even tried to do anything for nausea with her.  So this time around, feeling much like I felt with Princess, I couldn't remember any of those good ole tricks from before - it has been something like 4 years since then.  Well thanks to my also-pregnant-sister-in-law B., I am reminded of how wonderful vitamin B6 is for the sickies.  

At 2 days shy of 8 weeks along, today has been my best day since the sickies set in.  The strange thing is that when I wake up each morning, I feel pretty good (assuming I got adequate sleep).  I can even brush my teeth first thing without gagging or dry heaving.  (Aren't you glad you're reading this?)  Then I eat breakfast and I usually go downhill from there, feeling pretty gnarly right up until bed time.  Off and on, but mostly on.  But not nearly as bad as before the B6 mind you. Well today I feel pretty good.  In fact, I did (yesterday's  :-/ )dishes, a couple loads of laundry, and bathed the girls all before noon.  I'm a tad woozy at the moment, but it's 2 p.m. where I live so this is actually great! 

So you know when your kids are taking great naps and the UPS man does that ridiculous, simultaneous knock and ring thing and you just pray that your kids stay asleep?  Well that just happened a few minutes ago, so I have a beautiful, red bridesmaid dress begging me to try it on for size.  My kids are still asleep. :-)

4 comments:

LeAnna said...

So glad your sweet girl is doing so well! I hate, hate HATE it when the UPS men ring/knock during nap time!!! I have a white-trash paper sign taped over my door bell asking for no ringing between 10 and 4. I need to find a way to ask that a little more classily. :P

Anonymous said...

So glad your feeling better and your little miss is doing well!!!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

How wonderful that Smooch is doing so well & that you're feeling better! She's going to be running around in no time! :-)

Home Engineer said...

I also have a white-trash sign taped over my doorbell! :) hee hee hee! I'm so happy that your sickies are getting better. YAY! And that's awesome how fast Smooch is progressing!