Today has been one of those days that make you want to lock yourself in the bathroom...if only to get three short minutes to yourself. (Actually yesterday was sort of like that too.) I have to remind myself on days like today (and yesterday), that I'm probably a little extra tired, not to mention hormonal, and that it's okay to take a quick breather. For the love of all mental sanity, take a quick breather, Amelia.
However, I didn't take a breather. Nope. It was far more important to prepare my items for the post office. Envelopes, boxes, tape and labels are challenging to juggle with a whining 1 1/2-year-old literally hanging from your left leg. Then there was the dire need to empty the SUV of donation items, and since the donation center is just down the road from the post office, two separate trips seemed unthinkable.
Princess wants ribbon. Smooch wants you to constantly unbuckle the high chair buckles so she can buckle over and over and over and... No wait, Smooch wants to sit in the high chair. Princess begins to dig through your sacred craft supplies for her own ribbon. Smooch wants down from the high chair. Yesterday. Print label for return item. Remember the internet doesn't work in the room with the printer. "Mommy when can we do more school?" Then the onslaught of crying and whining. Why? Because heaven forbid Mommy has to do something that does not involve the children (or food) for 15 measely minutes.
Finally I just snapped. I yelled loudly. Twice. Tame words (thank goodness), untamed volume. Wild-eyed, frazzled momma bear ready to eat her cubs. Or something like that.
And then that face - framed by those fluffy blonde pigtails, sweet blue eyes wide, mouth hanging open - turned up toward me in silent shock.
I didn't even feel better after venting my frustration. I was still so on edge, that I literally had to do breathing exercises all the way to the post office.
Parent fail #127: Yelling at babies. For crying.
Next time that I want to lock myself in the bathroom for a few minutes, I think I will do just that.
4 comments:
Ohhh man, have I ever been here. So thankful for new mercies every morning!!!
Been there, and failed right along with you! :)
Awww...sorry you were having a frustrating day! When you said 3 minutes of peace in the top of this post, I giggled to myself thinking of a book my family used to love, you may have read it? It's a childrens book, illustrated, with elephants, and it's called "Five Minutes Peace." If you haven't seen it, check it out -- it's good for the soul especially the mama soul! :) -Rachel
Is it sad that I was so happy to read this?! I'm not the only one who SHOULD lock herself in a bathroom once in awhile, but chooses to get more done instead, and ends up losing her patience! AHHH....relief. I'm so glad I'm not alone. And yes, I agree. It never makes me feel better. Why haven't I learned that yet?! Hope you had a better day today!
Post a Comment