Since we arrived at our new California home on July 17th, it is amazing that either of us even remembered our anniversary with boxes and our belongings strewn about, fogging up our brains. But we managed to remember far enough in advance to reserve a hotel in San Diego, for my stud to ask for Monday off of work which they amazingly granted him being that is was quite last-minute, and off we went for the weekend! We met up with Clayton's cousin (who goes to school out there) for dinner, shopped IKEA the next morning for Mommy's wish list, and played on the beach all afternoon.
What!? You mean we're not supposed to bring our children on anniversary trips? That wasn't our first choice either, but circumstances being what they were, it was either put the kids to bed early and enjoy a romantic evening at home or make a weekend family trip. We chose the latter, knowing that we could always put the kids to bed early and have a nice evening at home any time we want. :-)
We really enjoyed reminiscing about our first anniversary which we also spent in San Diego - how we fell in love with GPS for the first time, having dinner in Little Italy and witnessing the excitement when Italy won the championship, wearing ourselves out at the San Diego Zoo and Sea World so that our afternoon nap didn't end until 4 a.m. (Oops!), our funny cheap hotel, and the freedom of our short-lived pre-children era.
One thing we also talked about is that we are so GLAD that we have done so many things and visited so many places together. We really have a lot of special memories in seven short years of marriage. Even now that we have a little brood of children, we are so glad that we take the time and effort to make all the trips we do to visit family and take short weekend trips together close to home. We really think it is effort, time, and money well spent since these are years that we will never get back. I'm so glad that my love and I are on the same page with that. We are having fun in this life we've created together. :-)
Another special thing about our mini vacation was lil Bug's first trip to the beach! She let the sand fall through her fingers dozens of times before I determined that she was going to be our one baby who didn't try to eat sand. No sooner did I say that then she started gagging and choking on a nice fistful of the gritty stuff. So...never mind I guess. :-)
The weather was pretty much perfect. It started off breezy and cloudy but then the sun finally burned off the clouds and shone through. I think it topped out at 83 degrees that day, 25 degrees cooler than our house. HA! I was almost cold. :-)
Princess really enjoyed making a sand castle. We didn't have any sand toys, so instead of buying some we just brought along some plastic cups and spoons. The kids were thrilled with them. My Stud and I took turns taking our two big girls to the ocean to play in the waves. The favorite ocean game remains "wait for the surf to get close to your feet and then turn around and run away from it without getting wet." We played that up until it was time to leave. Smooch was less keen on the ocean than Princess but she was happy to play while safe in Mommy or Daddy's arms.
It is also worth mentioning, so that I never forget, that I ate possibly the best burger of my life for dinner at Hodad's before we headed home. Too bad I didn't photograph that lovely event.








1 comment:
Happy Anniversary! Looks like y'all had a wonderful time!
Post a Comment