Thursday, April 28, 2011

Signs of Spring - Part 1: Household Intruders


It is no secret that we love Spring around these parts.  Our allergies afflict us, the wind sweeps through town with vengance, and unsightly insects make their way into our home bringing with them a promise of summer. 

No, really, we do love Spring.  See my apple blossoms?  Our allergies are pretty mild really.  The wind?  Well it isn't our favorite, but our garden doesn't seem to mind, and we love our garden.  But I really could do without critters in my house.

Like this one:



Please tell me you see see that spider INSIDE our microwave's timepiece.  I obsessed over this guy for a full day.  And then he disappeared. 



No, you may not comment on the filth of my microwave.  It is a sad result of having a black appliance in a dusty desert-ish place,  and setting my mixer right next do it when it's time to whip up some cookies or some such yummy treat.  This is how it looks after three days of neglect.  Needless to say, once the spider went missing, this thing got a full detailing - inside, outside, underneath.  No, I did not find our intruder.

Have I ever told you about the "wind scorpions" we get up here?  If I can ever catch one on camera I will show you.  I once found one about 2 inches long in our living room.  Last summer.  While barefoot.  Without my contacts or glasses on.  It was a close call.  Thankfully my daughter left an over sized book setting out that night.

So...anyone want to come for a visit?





6 comments:

LeAnna said...

Oh my word, wind scorpions?!?!? We have regular ones, but none that fly. ;)

The Clark Clan! said...

We have ants. ugggggg. I am sprinkling cinnamon and wiping tea tree oil over everything. I finally broke down and told Jim to irradiate the yard. Kill those little suckers. Ants freak me out because there is never just one.

Anonymous said...

We have ants, moths and *gag* roaches. I have no idea how they got started, but they are NASTY and I HATE THEM!
I don't know how we have bugs with how dry it is.

Amelia said...

Lol LeAnna! It's a nickname for a type of nasty, huge spider that moves really fast. They do sort of resemble scorpions. Thankfully, we don't have scorpions in our house at least like we did in AZ. Oh my.

Amey and Jennifer, we have ants too! Terro is my new friend. I just bait and poison and kill the whole colony. It works super well. Try it.

Nathaniel said...

^^ Can I just say that I've been using terro in my apartment for months and months now, and they're still alive! Am I doing something wrong? I use the drops...is there a better form? I notice that when I use it, they do sort of dwindle in numbers, but they are never completely gone and they always come back in full force. I just want it to kill off the whole darn colony! I do like using it though because if absolutely nothing else, it gives them a food source in one place (in my case, the bathroom) and keeps them out of my kitchen!

(FYI this is Ariel)

Amelia said...

Ariel, I use this kind:
http://www.amazon.com/Terro-300-Pre-Filled-Liquid-Killer/dp/B000HJBKMQ

Look at the customer photos to see 'em filled with ants. I usually get ants back too after a bit but only like a few stragglers. Before I discovered Terro last year, we literally had a full on ant march from our master bathroom down the hall out to the livingroom. We just live on top of 'em I guess! Terro wiped 'em out. This year I have to be extra careful now that N is crawling as to where I put such baits/poisons.

Good luck!