Monday, April 25, 2011

End of No Facebook/No TV & Movies

You may recall that our family decided to give up some forms of media for 40 days: facebook (me) and tv/movies (My Stud & the girls - which really meant all of us b/c I don't watch anything during the day) To recap, our purpose in giving these things up were 1.  To remove the shackles of addiction. (Princess constantly asked for movies.  I constantly checked facebook.)  2.  To use our time more wisely, which honestly mostly involved spending higher quality family time together, but it also included some more focused time with the Lord, and sometimes those two things were related.

Side note on a big fail:  I gave up sugar too, and then about 2 weeks in, we went on vacation with my family to visit my grandmother and I decided by the time we got to her house, that no "sugar fast" was going to keep me from the rare opportunity to eat some of my grandma's signature dishes.  So I threw in the towel, immediately put on 5 lbs., and haven't looked back.  Now I just need to get back to my "all things in moderation" mantra...which was sort of the whole point of giving up sugar for awhile in the first place.  Oh dear.

It all ended yesterday.  And Princess was dying to watch Tangled, so we did.  In the evening, as it neared our girls' bed time, My Stud watched tv for a little while, hoping to catch a basketball game.  I logged onto Facebook to announce my return and catch a few photos that friends had previously told me I was missing.  I started to read the "news feed", but it was making my head spin.  So instead I deleted 100 of my facebook friends - people I used to know, or folks I just never interact with on that thing.  Then I checked in on a few friends and family members.  By this time My Stud was sick of the tv (20 minutes later?), so he pulled out his guitar.  I shut the computer, and I joined him in worshipping the Lord in song. 

During our break, we've been doing a lot of playing/singing, a lot of playing on the floor with the kids, a lot of going outside and working together in the yard - all four of us, depending on your definition of work.  We have been in tv-and-facebook-free heaven.

After relinquishing my password, My Stud asked if I was planning to become a facebook queen again.  No, I don't think I will.  In fact, I don't think that I will even turn my email notifications back on.  This way I can log in at will rather than have facebook beckon to me when I check my email.  During our little break, I think we all learned that we rather prefer our lives a little more simple, free of the clutter of a distracted mind.  When I want to read, I would rather sit down and really read something worthwhile - and ponder it and let it inspire me - than catch 50 two-sentence updates, each from a different person.  I don't think our brains are really wired for that sort of information onslaught.  Now that I'm unaccustomed to it, the "news feed" style of information is hard for me to follow.  My eyes start to blur at about the tenth update.  I'm sure I'll update my status on facebook to blur the eyes of my friends, but I just don't think I can scroll through the news feed anymore. 

It seems like this process of living without facebook has retrained my mind how to think a complete thought with exacting detail and unwavering focus.  I am less prone to walk into a room and forget why I went in there than I was two months ago.  It was as if I had been going through life with the attention span of a high-strung toddler.  This probably all sounds like complete nonsense. 

I have rediscovered how much I enjoy writing.  I have caught up on some much-needed reading.  I have enjoyed "stopping to smell the roses" of life in so many different ways. 

Because when you don't have a tv and you can't get on facebook, sometimes you find that you don't know what to do.  So you make something up.  Like games with your kids.  Or you talk to each other about things that matter...and some things that don't matter.  Novel idea, right.  ;-)

Is it really possible that these forms of media reprogram our brains on some level?   Or have I just learned some important lessons about perspective and time management?  I'm really not sure, but I know one thing:  I want for our family to stay this way.  I dare say that we might even like each other a little bit more today than we did 40 days ago.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You certainly are a very wise woman! I find myself in "Time-Out" from the electronics, otherwise I'm sucked in and it's 3 hours later when I look up. Inspired by your comments, I think I'll limit my FB to 2 or 3 days per week and a max of 30 minutes each time. Like you, there are so many more things that truly matter. XOXOXOXOX

LeAnna said...

Much of what you mentioned is how I felt after I unplugged from facebook. I totally get how you feel like you've "retrained" your thought process. I feel the same way! Life has been much more enjoyable! My Mom and I were just discussing sugar at the table yesterday (while we ate our pie), and how we are so grateful we don't have diabetes. Ha.

Cami Jo said...

Well...I'm glad you are back on FB so you can remind me to read your cute blog! I was actually talking to James about this stuff last night. (Spending more time doing the important things...etc.) I think it's a fabulous idea, and I'm so impressed by your example! Good for you!

Amelia said...

"Anonymous" - I think that's a good idea. Sometimes I set a timer for my computer time period. Love you!!!